Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Live tutoring session #3

Entering the tutoring session this week was much easier.  I was glad to see that the students had done a practice CATW.  The prompt talked about how the advertisements of fast food and junk food have influenced the youth and affected them negatively.  It also spoke about  After reading the prompt and reviewing the first tutee's practice exam, I was highly impressed with his work.  He had definitely take into account some of the things we had worked on.  He had originally struggled with the introduction and summary and this time around it was really well done.  However he only had two body paragraphs.  I explained to him how his first body paragraph could definitely be split into two paragraphs, seeing how there was so much information in it to begin with.  In this paragraph he spoke about how McDonald's advertised their Happy Meals to children because it included a toy in it.  He spoke about how children begged their parents to go there because they wanted the toys.     Once we split the paragraph into two, he realized how much better the paper flowed.  From there we sat and talked about maybe adding a few more details here and there.  We used just talk about it to expanded his ideas and add more details.  We talked over the ideas he already had and began to develop more.  He actually told me he had so many other ideas but because of time he was unable to include and develop them.  This bought music to my ears because he had always struggled with coming up with ideas.  Since day one he had asked me for ways to come up with ideas in such a short amount of time.  I was extremely happy to see that he had found confidence in his writing this time around.  At the end of the tutoring session we were asked by their professor to get them feedback on two things that we thought the might want to work on.  For him I told him to work on overcome writer's block.  I explained that all he need was the right amount of confidence to start off because once he started writing he wrote well.  And I also told him to work on sentence structure.  Often times his writing, although not hard to understand, lacks sentence structure. 
The second student that I was asked to work with (because my usual second student was running late) was not at all open for help.  He refused a few times with me and with his professor at all.  I even asked him why it was that he did not want to get any help from me, if he was shy or embarrassed

No comments:

Post a Comment